The initiative, which originated in the United States, emphasized from the first moment the importance of independent record stores as cultural and meeting points, not just a focus on appearances. Eleven years ago, Hungary joined the international holiday thanks to Budapest’s Musicland and Wave record stores.
Like last year’s event, those interested can expect an unusual record store this year as well, with the event taking place under the name Record Store Day Drops. All the drops do is “plates fall from the sky”. Of course not literally, at most in a figurative sense: last year, the organizers decided to rethink the look due to the epidemic, and little by little, to avoid mass misery, they “distilled” exclusive looks and attracted interested people to stores.
Organizers are waiting for those interested twice this year, on June 12 and July 17, respectively. Looking at the distance, unlike the previous record store concerts and events, they focus more on publication and acquisition.
In 2021, on the first drop in June, the capital’s Deep, music store 777 in Donaujvaros, MG Records store, and the two veteran sites will participate, and the legendary neon music, Wave and Musicland will open for a longer time. Although concerts will be absent this year as well, the exciting and special records guarantee a great atmosphere.
As is the case every year, this year the stores are made with rare rarities (and, of course, publishers and performers).
- Amy Winehouse remix album on colored vinyl,
- Lady Gaga Chromatics luxury vinyl album,
- Large album by Muse frontman Matt Bellamy containing ten singles,
- and Prince, Rolling Stones, Björk, St Vincent, Metallica, Fontaines DC, The Cure, and Elastica.
Multiple Drops special albums can be purchased for this year.
- Hangmás – Rest in the Parties 2007-2013 (Draz records). One of the most popular indie bands has chosen their favorite songs, which will be timed for Record Store Day on a limited edition of two hundred vinyl tracks.
- Christoph Hagus – Dancing to the Sirens (clinic). Christoph Hagus, a former captain of The Unbending Threes, returned in 2021 and began his solo career. The singles from his debut album, which debuted at the end of the year, are constantly appearing.
- Ilima – Attracted to Light (Author’s edition). Rhythm & Grunge’s debut album will be released in Budapest on a limited number of cassettes.
- finely chopped vol 1 (clinic). The Budapest Clinic is also preparing a remix cassette for the month of July. The post will contain remixes of Anton Vesuvius, Christoph Hagos, Peter Jakab, the former reality crew, and Jazekiel. The artists recording remixes will be Mankind, Horhos, Krizso, Marwell and Norbert Kristóf.
(Cover Image: Sinco)